Bring students to your workplace to meet with technology professionals in the forefront of their industry
What is LEAP Day?
In celebration of the one year anniversary of the LEAP grant, the NTC is bringing hundreds of students to the local tech industry on February 29th, 2016 for a technology workplace learning day, but we cannot do it without you! We need companies who want build their future pool of applicants by investing in the students who will become the future technology talent for Middle Tennessee.
In Nashville, there are over 1,500 jobs unfilled in the technology industry today. There are currently 500,000 tech jobs across America, and this number is expected to swell to 1.4 million in the next 4 years. Help ensure Nashville is ready!
Later at 3:30PM, representatives of businesses and the State of Tennessee actively involved in workforce development will convene to discuss the past year’s achievements, debut the launch of the We Build Tech platform, and preview what to look forward to in 2016.
How Can My Company Help?
RSVP here for the LEAP Day celebration and the kick-off of the We Build Tech platform at Feb. 29, at 3:30PM.
Questions? Email email@example.com
What am I committing to?
- For approximately 45-60 minutes, your company can provide students with an over-the-shoulder glimpse of what you do, the technology you use, and have the option to challenge and engage with a hands-on activity.
- Short, high interest, presentation that provide as much time for individual or small-group interaction as possible. Discuss education opportunities, including TN Promise, the work and education history of employees, mentor lessons, etc.
- Choose to host 1, 2, or 3 groups per day.
Why should I do this?
- Let students see what kinds of skills and experience are needed to prepare for your line of work.
- Help students think about the details of your work (i.e. what coding language you use, software, tech infrastructure, vocabulary, etc.) and a future they can start working toward now.
How is lunch provided for the students?
- Please consider sponsoring a meal and providing a place for students to eat. It is a great opportunity to interact with the students more informally. The NTC is able to coordinate the logistics, if needed.
How many students per trip?
- 25 students or less in each group.
What time will the students arrive and leave my office?
- The typical field trips will be from 9:00 am-1:30pm for the students. Students will spend approximately one hour at each company with 30 minutes being allotted to lunch at one of the sites. The time slots are provided on the Doodle sign up.
Funding for this program is provided by the State of Tennessee, as part of Governor Haslam’s Drive to 55 Initiative.